In this article, we will find 20 Interesting facts about food in India. we will take a look at some of the most intriguing and surprising aspects of Indian food. So, let’s dive in and discover what makes Indian food so special!
1. Did you know “Achar” is not an Indian Word?
“Pickle is an immensely popular side dish in India. The Hindi name for Pickle is Achar. However, did you know that Achar is actually a loan word from Persian, derived from the term ‘Ācār’?
Ācār refers to the preservation of fruits and meats in salt, vinegar, or syrup.”
2. Do you know Most Famous Pickle in Andhra Pradesh?
“Avakaya,” also known as “Urakaya” in Andhra Pradesh, is one of the most famous types of pickles in India. It is made using mangoes as the main ingredient.
3. What are “Mesu Pickles”?
“Mesu Pickles” are a type of pickle made with bamboo shoots, popular in the North East region of the country.
4. Have you heard of “Bhut Jolokia” from North East India?
“Bhut Jolokia” or “King chilli” is the hottest chilli from Assam and is one of the hottest chillies in the world.
5. Did you know that “Tomato” is not originally from India?
Tomato was introduced to India by the Portuguese in the 16th century. Initially, in Bengal, it was named “Billiti Begun,” which means foreign brinjal.
6. What is the popular local liquor in West Bengal??
“Bangla” is the local liquor of West Bengal and is very popular in the state, holding around 39% market share.
7. Which is the most popular mango in India?
Alphonso is the most popular mango in India, mainly found in the Ratnagiri area of Maharashtra. It is the costliest Indian mango and is also known as the “King of Mangoes.”
8. In which state is “Rogan Josh” a popular dish?
“Rogan Josh” is a popular non-vegetarian dish belonging to Kashmiri cuisine.
9. Have you heard of “Chhurpe”?
Chhurpe” is a special kind of cheese famous in snow-laden areas of India like Ladakh and Jammu & Kashmir. It is prepared with yak milk.
10. What is the most commonly consumed tea in the Himalayan region?
In Ladakh, Jammu, and Kashmir, people use butter in their tea, known as “Butter tea.”
11. What is “Dham” in Himachal Pradesh??
“Dham” is a special feast in Himachal Pradesh prepared by male individuals for special occasions and celebrations.
12. What is “Laal Maas”??
“Laal Maas” is a popular non-vegetarian dish in Rajasthan. It is a tradition that it is prepared and served by males only.
13. Which is the most popular fish in West Bengal?
Hilsa or Illsha/Elisha is the most popular freshwater fish in West Bengal for cooking.
14. What are the two most popular local alcoholic drinks in Goa??
“Urak” and “fenny” are two popular local liquors in Goa made with cashew or coconut.
15. What is the popular fermented food in North East Cuisine??
“Axone” or “Akhuni” is fermented soybeans, a famous food ingredient in Northeast cuisine, especially in Nagaland. It is used in many local recipes.
16. Do you know the origin of “Dabeli”?
Dabeli is a popular snack in Gujarat, also known as Kacchi Dabeli because it originated from the Kutch area.
17. Do you know the popular chutney of Chhattisgarh??
In Chhattisgarh, a popular chutney made with Red Aunt is well-known in tribal cuisine.
18. Which cuisine is the oldest in India??
Tamil cuisine is one of the oldest cuisines in India and offers a wide variety of vegetarian dishes.
19. How does Britain’s national dish relate to Indian food??
“Chicken Tikka Masala” is Britain’s national dish, which is a variation of the Indian dish “Chicken Tikka” from Punjabi cuisine..
20. Do you know that Indians eat “Silkworms””?
In Assam cuisine, you can find a dish based on “Silkworms,” which is an interesting fact about Indian food.
If you find these facts really interesting, please comment and let us know. We would be happy to write more articles like this.
Read More: GI Tags & its Significance