In this blog, you will find the brief about the FMCG Industry in India and its Key Players, Product Categories, and Market Insights.
What is the FMCG Industry?
FMCG stands for Fast Moving Consumer Goods, and it refers to products that are sold quickly and at a relatively low cost. These products include items such as food and beverages, toiletries, cleaning supplies, and other household items.
The FMCG industry is a type of consumer goods industry that includes companies that produce and sell these types of products. These companies typically have high-volume production and distribution processes to meet the demand for their products.
FMCG companies often operate on a large scale, with a global reach, and employ various marketing strategies to promote their products and build brand recognition. Some examples of well-known FMCG companies include Procter & Gamble, Unilever, Nestle, and Coca-Cola.
FMCG Industry Market In India :
The Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) industry is the 4th major sector of the Indian economy. The sector is a majorly divided into three significant segments:
- Food and beverages- 19%;
- Healthcare- 31%
- Household and personal care- 50%
Also, The urban segment contributes to approximately 55% of the revenue share, while the rural segment accounts for the remaining 45%.
Experts anticipate that the rise in rural consumption will serve as a catalyst to propel the growth of the FMCG market.
The FMCG industry includes a wide range of product categories, including:
- Food and Beverages: This includes packaged foods, snacks, confectionery, beverages, and other edible items.
- Personal Care: This includes items such as soaps, shampoos, conditioners, skincare products, cosmetics, deodorants, and oral care products.
- Household Care: This includes cleaning products such as detergents, dishwashing liquids, surface cleaners, air fresheners, and insecticides.
- Baby and Child Care: This includes baby food, diapers, wipes, and other child care products.
- Health and Wellness: This includes over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, supplements, and other health-related products.
- Pet Care: This includes food, treats, and other products for pets.
- Tobaccos And Alcohol: This category includes Beer, IMFL, wine etc and Tobacco based Products.
These are some of the main categories included in the FMCG industry, but there are other subcategories and specialized products as well.
Popular FMCG brands in India are categorized by their product categories:
- Foods and Beverages: Nestle India, Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL), Britannia Industries, Parle Products, PepsiCo India, Coca-Cola India, Cadbury India, ITC Foods, Dabur
- Personal Care: Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL), Procter & Gamble, Nivea, Dabur, Colgate-Palmolive, Garnier, L’Oreal, Ponds, Himalaya, Johnson & Johnson
- Home Care: HUL, Procter & Gamble, Reckitt Benckiser, Godrej Consumer Products, Henkel, SC Johnson
- Healthcare: GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare, Cipla, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Abbott India, Himalaya Drug Company, Johnson & Johnson
- Baby and Childcare: Johnson & Johnson, Pampers, MamyPoko, Chicco, Huggies, Fisher-Price, Mothercare
- Pet Care: Pedigree, Royal Canin, Whiskas, Drools, Hill’s Pet Nutrition
- Tobacco: ITC Limited, Godfrey Phillips India, VST Industries, Golden Tobacco Limited.
The Food and beverages industry :
The Food and Beverage (F&B) industry refers to the sector that involves the production, processing, packaging, marketing, and distribution of food and beverages for consumption by humans. This industry includes a wide range of businesses, from small local food producers and restaurants to large multinational corporations.
Business Categories Included in Food and Beverages Industry :
- Packaged Foods: There are a variety of packaged foods available in the market, and the categories for these foods are diverse. Some common examples of packaged foods include canned foods, pasta, rice, noodles, sauces, and ready-to-eat meals.
- Snacks and Confectionery: This includes items such as chocolates, candies, cookies, chips, and other snacks.
- Dairy Products: This includes products such as milk, cheese, yoghurt, and butter.
- Beverages: This includes non-alcoholic beverages such as carbonated drinks, juices, bottled water, tea, and coffee.
- Frozen Foods: This includes frozen fruits and vegetables, frozen meals, and frozen desserts.
- Meat and Poultry: This includes products such as fresh and processed meat and poultry items.
- Baked Goods: This includes products such as bread, cakes, pastries, and cookies.
Know More about sectors of the Food and Beverage Industry.
Popular Food and beverage brands in India:
- Packaged Foods:
- Maggi (Nestle)
- Knorr (Unilever)
- Top Ramen (Indo Nissin)
- Sunfeast (ITC)
- Snacks and Confectionery:
- Cadbury (Mondelez)
- Kurkure (PepsiCo)
- Lays (PepsiCo)
- Dairy Products:
- Mother Dairy
- Baked Goods:
- Pillsbury (General Mills)
- Bisk Farm
- Modern Bread
- Meat and Poultry:
- Godrej Tyson
- Frozen Foods:
- Godrej Tyson
These are some of the popular food and beverage brands in India. However, the Indian market is vast, and there are many more brands in each category.
From well-established brands to emerging startups, the options for consumers are endless. As the industry continues to grow, new brands continue to emerge, offering innovative products and unique flavours to cater to the evolving tastes of Indian consumers.