India is renowned for its extensive cultivation of apples across the country. In this article, we will delve into the different Apple Varieties in India, highlighting their features, flavours, and regional significance.
1. About the Apple Cultivation in India
Apple cultivation has a long history in India and has gained significant popularity in recent years. The major apple-growing states in India include Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Uttarakhand, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, and Sikkim. The country’s favourable climate, characterized by cold winters and moderate summers, makes it suitable for growing apples in various states.
2. Popular Apple Varieties in India State Wise
2.1. Apple varieties In India – Himachal Pradesh
Himachal Pradesh is the largest apple-producing state in India, known for its high-quality apples. Some popular apple varieties grown in this region include:
- Red Delicious or Red Velox: This apple variety is known for its bright red skin and sweet flavour. It is one of the most popular apple varieties worldwide.
- Golden Delicious: With its yellow-green skin, the Golden Delicious apple is known for its crisp texture and honey-like sweetness.
- Gala Dark Baron Apple: The Gala Dark Baron apples have a strong reddish-purple colour throughout the entire harvest season. About a month before they are picked, the fruits develop a unique shade. The stems are bright red and look like the fruits. The apples have the same round shape as regular Gala apples.
- Royal Gala: In 1880, an orchard gave rise to a new apple variety known as the ‘Red Delicious’ or ‘Red Velox.’ This apple was characterized by its round shape and a delightful combination of yellow colour with blushes. The fruit possessed an exceptional level of sweetness, adding to its allure.
- Scarlet Spur Apple: The fruits are moderately sized, requiring favourable care conditions to grow large and take on an elongated conical shape. Their outer peel is predominantly red, adorned with a shiny dark coating that covers approximately 85-90% of the surface. These fruits are highly sought after by producers due to their early onset of vibrant colour. Within, the creamy-hued flesh is exceptionally sweet, firm, succulent, and delightful to taste.
2.2. Apple Varieties in India -Jammu and Kashmir
Jammu and Kashmir, famous for its scenic beauty, also produces a variety of apples. The region is known for the following apple varieties:
- Kashmiri Red: These apples have a distinct red blush and a juicy, tangy flavour. They are often used in making desserts, jams, and juices.
- Ambri: Ambri apples have pale yellow skin and a delightful balance of sweetness and tartness. They are perfect for snacking and can also be used in pies and sauces.
- Kullu Delicious
- American tel
- Starking Apple
2.3. Apple Varieties in India–Uttarakhand
Uttarakhand, located in the foothills of the Himalayas, is another significant apple-growing region in India. Some notable apple varieties from Uttarakhand include:
- Russet: Russet apples have rough, brownish skin and a unique nutty flavour. They are popular for their distinct taste and are often used in making cider.
- Royal Delicious: These apples have a bright red colour and a sweet, aromatic taste. They are commonly eaten fresh and are also used in baking and cooking.
- Red Fuji
- Organ Spur
- Red Chief
- Pahari Wilson
2.4. Apple Varieties in India –Arunachal Pradesh Apple
Arunachal Pradesh, with its favourable climate, is emerging as an important apple-growing state. The region cultivates the following apple varieties:
- Black Bendavis
- Red Gold
- Gani Gala
- Cooper- IV
- Granny smith
- Golden Delicious
2.5. Apple Varieties in India–Nagaland Apple
Nagaland, located in Northeast India, has suitable conditions for apple cultivation. The region is known for the following apple varieties:
- Saramati Apple
2.6. Apple Varieties in India –Sikkim Apple
Sikkim, a state nestled in the Himalayas, is recognized for its organic farming practices and the production of unique apple varieties, such as:
- SIKKIM WILD APPLE (Malus sikkimensis)
India’s apple varieties showcase the country’s agricultural diversity and the unique flavours that different regions offer. Whether you prefer the sweet and crisp Red Delicious from Himachal Pradesh or the tangy Kashmiri Red from Jammu and Kashmir, Indian apples provide a delightful culinary experience for all apple enthusiasts.
Read More: Varieties of Indian Rice